As a general rule, a standard shower curtain must be at least twelve inches longer than the bathtub.
For this reason, most shower curtains are 72 inches long. However, it is important to keep in mind that if you have a custom shower, a standard shower curtain length may not be right for you.
How To Measure a Shower Curtain?
It is quite unlikely that the measurements of your shower will match the measurements of a shower curtain. Here is how you should measure a shower curtain:
- First, measure the width of your shower. You need to go from wall to wall and take measurements. It is important to remember that a shower curtain should be slightly wider than the shower. This will prevent the curtain from being fully taut if you pull it closed. The best way to ensure this happens is to add 12 additional inches to the actual width of the shower curtain.
- The next step is measuring the height of the shower. One of the common mistakes of many people is to go from ceiling to floor, but this is not the right way of measuring. Instead, you should take measurements from the shower rod to the floor and subtract about 8 inches to account for shower curtain rings. If you do not end up with the right height, you can always raise or lower the shower rod.
How Far Off The Floor Should A Shower Curtain Be?
Your shower curtain should be at least two inches off the floor and should never be too long to drape on the ground. Otherwise, it will become dirty and unsanitary over time.
The folds on the curtain can become a host for mold, which is absolutely unhealthy and even dangerous to your health. Mold is very common in bathrooms because it is the place that constantly produces moisture.
Therefore, shower curtains that get wet often are especially vulnerable to mold. Therefore, making sure that the shower curtain is not too long is the best way to prevent mold, as well as other grime.
How Often Is It Necessary To Change A Shower Curtain?
Even if you wash your shower curtain regularly, it cannot last over, and you will have to replace it at some point. Experts recommend changing a shower curtain every six months.
This is true even if you wash your shower curtain regularly.
You will need to replace it even more often if you live in an area with tough humidity, especially if your bathroom is not ventilated properly.
Types Of Shower Curtains
The length of your shower curtain is definitely important, but there are also other things you need to consider when choosing a curtain for your shower.
One of them is the style of a shower curtain because each style has its own features.
- Vinyl shower curtains. This type is curtain is waterproof and easy to maintain. They are easy to decorate a bathroom because there are no shower liners required. In addition, vinyl shower curtains are not expensive. However, there are several results claiming that vinyl curtains may be toxic because most of them are made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
- Decorative shower curtain. If the form is more important than the function of your curtain, then you should probably consider a decorative curtain. Usually, decorative curtains are made with luxurious fabrics (like linen or silk) and paired with embellishments. In order to protect your decorative curtain from mold, you should choose a quality functional liner.
- Cotton shower curtains. It is one of the most popular choices today. Cotton curtains are durable, easy to care for, and are machine washable. However, if the curtain has any embellishments, such as sequins, beads, and lace, then it is recommended to wash it by hand. It is also important to get a polyester or vinyl liner because cotton cannot repel moisture like other fabrics.
- Hookless shower curtains. If you want to have a more streamlined look, then you should choose a hookless shower curtain that slips directly over the shower. Also, this type of shower curtain is more durable because there are fewer parts to handle.
- Microfiber shower curtains. If you are looking for a soft-the-touch alternative to other shower curtains, a microfiber curtain is a great choice. It is ultra-soft and easy to care for, but it should be paired with vinyl or plastic lining. Moreover, microfiber curtains are resistant to moisture, which makes them very durable.
- Extra-wide shower curtains. This type of curtain is perfect for L-shaped shower rods or rectangular rods hanging over the tub from the ceiling. An extra-wide shower curtain provides additional coverage around the bathtub, so there is no need to worry about wet bathroom mats and floors.
How To Choose The Right Shower Curtain?
There are some other factors that you need to consider when choosing a curtain for your bathroom:
Patterns and Colors
If your bathroom is pretty small, and you want it to look bigger, you should choose neutral and light colors. One full solid color is also the right choice for those who prefer minimalism.
However, if you want to make your bathroom look more sophisticated, then choosing dark and bright colors may be a good idea.
The color of your shower curtain does not have to match your towels or mat perfectly, but their colors should be from the same color palette because this will help create a more cohesive look.
It is also a good idea to match the color of your curtain to the floor, walls, sink, or countertop.
Shower curtain accessories, such as hooks and curtain rods, play an important role. Many people decide to skimp on these items because they do not provide the bulk of the beauty.
However, choosing cheap accessories is one of the biggest mistakes. Plastic hooks and rods become weak quickly, especially when they are exposed to humidity and temperature fluctuations. As a result, they do not last as long as metal accessories.
Therefore, when you are shopping for a shower curtain, do not forget about quality accessories that are made of durable materials, including metal.
What Are The Benefits Of Having A Shower Curtain?
You may think that you do not even need a shower curtain in your bathroom. However, before you decide not to buy it, you should know about some of its benefits:
- A shower curtain provides you with some privacy, and most people value it while they are taking a shower.
- One of the primary purposes of shower curtains is to prevent water from spreading out of the shower area. If you have the right shower curtain, you will not have the menace of water that spreads into adjacent areas to your shower area.
- A shower curtain is a great decorative element in your bathroom. It can enhance the preferred theme, design, and interior, add some life to your house and create the right mood and atmosphere.
- Sometimes, a shower curtain can also create the illusion of a large space if it is strategically draped. This is especially beneficial for smaller bathrooms.
- They add a softer look to your bathroom by creating a feeling of coziness and warmth.