If you’re looking to improve your shower experience, a shower seat can be a great addition. Not only can it make showering more comfortable, but it can also provide a safer and more accessible option for those with mobility issues. However, with so many options on the market, it can be difficult to know where to start.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at two of the most popular options for shower seats: bamboo and teak. While both are great options in their own right, they each have their own pros and cons that are worth considering before making a purchase.
We’ll provide an overview of the benefits of each type of shower seat, as well as a comparison of the two. We’ll also discuss some of the key factors to consider when choosing a shower seat, such as durability, aesthetics, and eco-friendliness.
Whether you’re looking for a durable and eco-friendly option, or a more affordable shower seat that still looks great, we’ve got you covered. Read on to learn more about bamboo and teak shower seats, and find the perfect option for your needs.
Benefits of Bamboo Shower Benches
Bamboo shower benches have a number of advantages that make them a popular option for those in the market for a new shower seat. Here are some of the key benefits of using a bamboo shower bench:
- Durability: Bamboo shower benches are water-resistant, which means that they are less likely to suffer from water damage than other types of wood. Unlike regular hardwood, bamboo won’t swell or crack if used as a shower bench. This makes bamboo a durable option for a shower seat that will last for years with proper care.
- Aesthetics: Bamboo has a natural look that is attractive and appealing to many people. The natural color of bamboo is warm and inviting, and it can complement many different types of shower décor. Additionally, there are a variety of designs and styles available for bamboo shower benches, allowing you to choose one that fits your personal taste and the look of your bathroom.
- Eco-friendliness: Bamboo is a renewable resource that grows quickly and can be harvested without causing significant environmental damage. It has a small carbon footprint and decomposes quickly, making it an environmentally-friendly choice for those who care about sustainability.
- Affordability: Compared to other types of wood, bamboo is an affordable option for a shower bench. This makes it a great choice for those who want a high-quality shower seat without breaking the bank.
Disadvantages of Bamboo Shower Benches
While bamboo shower benches have many benefits, they also have some potential downsides that are worth considering. Here are some of the disadvantages of using a bamboo shower bench:
- Regular Maintenance: While bamboo shower benches are water-resistant, they are still susceptible to mold and mildew over time. To prevent this, bamboo shower benches require regular maintenance, such as oiling, to maintain their resistance to mold and insects. This can be a downside for those who want a low-maintenance shower seat.
- Susceptibility to Mold and Insects: Even with regular maintenance, bamboo shower benches may still be more susceptible to mold and insects than other types of wood. This is because bamboo is a grass, not a wood, and it may not have the same natural defenses against mold and insects that wood has.
- Chemical Treatments: To make bamboo shower benches more resistant to mold and insects, they are often treated with chemicals. While these chemicals may provide temporary protection, they may not hold up over time and can potentially be harmful to the environment and your health.
Can Bamboo Benches Go in the Shower?
If you are considering a bamboo shower bench, you may be wondering if it is safe to use in the shower. The answer is yes, bamboo shower benches can be used in the shower. In fact, bamboo is a popular choice for shower seats because of its water-resistant properties.
Bamboo is naturally resistant to water, which means that it is less likely to suffer from water damage than other types of wood. This makes it a durable and long-lasting option for a shower bench that can withstand the wet environment of a bathroom. Additionally, bamboo is a sustainable and eco-friendly option for those who care about the environment.
However, while bamboo is water-resistant, it still requires proper care to maintain its durability over time. As mentioned in the previous section, bamboo shower benches may be susceptible to mold and insects if not properly maintained.
Regular maintenance, such as oiling, can help to prevent these issues and ensure the longevity of your bamboo shower bench.
Benefits of Teak Shower Benches
Teak shower benches are a popular option for those who want a durable, long-lasting shower seat. Here are some of the key benefits of using a teak shower bench:
- Durability: Teak is a very durable wood that is naturally resistant to water, mold, and insects. This means that teak shower benches can withstand the wet and humid environment of a bathroom without suffering from damage. Additionally, teak is a very dense wood that does not easily scratch or dent, which makes it a great option for a shower bench that will see daily use.
- Natural Resistance to Mold and Insects: Teak is a natural insect repellent and has a high oil content that helps to prevent mold and mildew from forming on the wood. This makes teak shower benches very low maintenance and easy to care for.
- Attractive Appearance: Teak has a warm, rich color that is very attractive and complements many different types of bathroom decor. Over time, teak will develop a natural patina that adds to its unique and appealing appearance.
- Longevity: Teak is a very long-lasting wood that can last for decades with proper care. This makes teak shower benches a great investment for those who want a shower seat that will stand the test of time.
Are Bamboo or Teak Shower Benches Better?
When it comes to choosing between bamboo and teak shower benches, there are a number of factors to consider. Here is a detailed comparison of bamboo and teak shower benches:
- Price: Bamboo shower benches are generally more affordable than teak shower benches. While bamboo shower benches offer many of the same benefits as teak, they are usually available at a lower price point.
- Eco-friendliness: Both bamboo and teak are considered eco-friendly options for shower benches. Bamboo is a renewable resource that grows quickly, making it a sustainable choice for those who care about the environment. Teak is also a sustainable option, as it is often harvested from plantations and can be replanted to continue the cycle.
- Strength: Teak is a very strong and durable wood, making it a great option for those who want a shower bench that will last for many years. While bamboo is also strong, it is not as durable as teak and may require more maintenance over time.
- Maintenance: Both bamboo and teak shower benches require regular maintenance to prevent issues such as mold and mildew. However, teak is naturally resistant to these issues and may require less maintenance than bamboo over time.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Shower Bench
Choosing the right shower bench can make a big difference in the functionality and style of your bathroom. Here are some factors to consider when making your decision:
A shower bench should be durable and able to withstand the wet and humid environment of a bathroom. Look for materials that are water-resistant and naturally resistant to mold and insects, such as teak or bamboo.
Your shower bench should also fit in with the overall aesthetic of your bathroom. Consider the color and design of the bench, as well as the materials used to make it.
Size and shape
The size and shape of the bench will depend on your individual needs and the size of your shower. Make sure to measure your shower space and choose a bench that fits comfortably.
Consider how much maintenance your shower bench will require over time. Some materials, such as teak, require less maintenance than others and are naturally resistant to mold and mildew.
Your shower bench should be comfortable to sit on and provide adequate support. Consider the height and angle of the bench, as well as any additional features such as armrests or backrests.
Shower benches can range in price from affordable to very expensive. Consider your budget and choose a bench that fits within your price range.