What you decide to use for your living room window shield will influence the general appearance and room effect. Curtains and blinds are the standard window treatments available. Hence, knowing which works best for your living room is essential.
Curtains have more flexible and accommodating options. Unlike blinds, they’re available in distinct patterns, colors, and designs to satisfy your taste.
However, curtains and blinds have unique functions peculiar to each other, as well as accompanying pros and cons. You can cover your living room window with either and still accomplish an attractive aesthetic background.
- Long-lasting: Blinds are better lasting than curtains and don’t need much work to maintain them. Effective curtain maintenance requires careful handling of installation and washing processes. Also, curtains are more prone to wear and tear over time than blinds.
- Cost-effective: While high and low-budget curtains are available, blinds generally come at moderate prices. If you’re working with a fixed budget, I’ll suggest you choose window blinds over curtains. Shopping for curtains is more enjoyable when you walk into the store with a heavy pocket.
- Insulation Effect: Both windows and curtains moderate room temperature and sound at varying levels. Curtains minimize sound and vibrations more, but blinds offer better ventilation. Blinds are better for the summer seasons to protect the room from heating up.
- Better Design Alternative: Curtains come in numerous colors, patterns, and design possibilities. Blinds are limited in color pattern, designs, and styles. Unlike blinds, curtains are more flexible regarding positioning and styling.
- DIY-friendly: The fabric and machines used to produce blinds are not common as they’re mostly found in production factories. In contrast, curtains can be homemade with basic sewing skills to suit your preference.
This also implies that your curtains can be customized for a more personal theme, but blinds aren’t that flexible.
- To enjoy both benefits, you can also combine both curtains and window shields in your living room. For example, you can use blinds for your children’s parlor to keep it well ventilated and spacious. You can use curtains for your study to help absorb unwanted and unpleasant noise and vibrations.
Unlike blinds, curtains are produced in unlimited varieties of patterns, colors, and styles. These different options are produced to accommodate your taste and style. Here are some excellent curtain design suggestions for your living space.
- Sheer: Sheer curtains serve a dual purpose. They keep your living room attractive while permitting a moderate amount of light rays to penetrate through them. They also have multicolored options to make your living room pop.
- Layers: Layer curtain designs give your living room elegance and depth. They are available in different styles and patterns to meet your living room needs and personal taste.
- Waves: The wave collection is another excellent design. You can change the curtain effect in your living room by altering how they droop on the wall. To do this, ensure the drapery rods are fixed flexibly.
- Layered Sheer: Another idea is to layer your sheer curtains. This is a smart idea if you prefer thick curtain dimensions. Layered sheer curtains are also efficient at keeping your living room temperature controlled.
- Embroidery Designs: This design is made to accommodate embroidery lovers. Embroidered curtains are still in vogue and give your living space that classic vintage. In sunlight, they produce a blooming effect on your room.
- Top-to-bottom Designs: For a fuller and elegant living room background, you can choose longer drapes that run from the top of your door or window to the ground. Your curtain rods should be fixed at higher positions above your door or window.
- Multicolor Designs: If rainbow color backgrounds don’t freak you out, you can try complementary sheer curtain blends. This curtain idea works well in a monochrome living room.
A multicolored curtain blend over your window will enhance the cheerful and vibrant feel of your room. For a thicker color dimension, layer each color of curtain fabric as much as you want.
- Two-to-tango: A unique idea to cover your living room window is to hang complementary colors side by side. This is a smart monochrome living room idea. It makes your room look bright and colorful without overwhelming it with colors.
- Decoration Specific: Some people are not so particular about the functional aesthetic aspects of curtains. For them, curtains serve nothing but decorative purposes, and that’s okay. Curtain designs are available in simple and sophisticated styles to meet your needs.
Some curtain manufacturers produce fabrics that are primarily used for home decorations. You can install one of those in your living room, move on with your life and forget all about them.
Contrary to what some people think, curtains are still very trendy. Using curtains can benefit you in many ways. Followed are some outlined advantages of using curtains in your living space:
- Privacy: Curtains give a proper cover to your living room windows. They help your room maintain an absolute shadowed effect from the outside. With curtains, you can be sure your privacy won’t be intruded on.
- Semi-insulator: Curtains make it easier to control the temperature in your living room. They serve as efficient insulators, controlling the amount of heat accumulated or lost in a room. This is a benefit window blinds don’t offer because they’re lighter than curtains.
- Block Light Rays: Most times, streams of sun rays still find a way to escape through blinds no matter how well you cover them. Curtains can be used as an absolute ray blocker or regulate the amount of light that penetrates your living room.
- Noise-proof: Curtains help muffle unwanted sounds and noises. Let’s agree that the best way to explain how it works is the thicker, the better. You can also use curtains to minimize external vibrations and improve the sound quality of your home theater.
- Adornment: Curtain fabrics are available in a variety of cute and stylish colors. When installed against the walls, they enhance the aesthetics of your living room. With curtains, especially the top-to-bottom designs, you won’t need to spend so much money on decorations.
- Flexibility: I love the fact that you can shrink or spread out your curtains to fit the window or door space it’s covering. Blinds can’t achieve this because they come in custom-made sizes. Curtains can also be removed and washed with ease when they get dirty.
- Less Expensive: Curtains remain the most affordable compared to other window shields. This doesn’t make it less quality or less beautiful. The easiest win for curtains compared to blinds is that they are more budget-friendly.
- Diy Friendly: Once you’ve got the basic skills and can afford the time, you can DIY your living room curtains. All you need to do is shop for quality fabrics, then go ahead and create the style and size you want. It is also less expensive to change your old curtains and reinstall freshly-made ones.
Now you’re well equipped with adequate information on blinds and curtain essentials. You can go ahead and design your living room with your preferred window treatment. Makes sure you don’t forget to pick a curtain or blind that blends well the color of your space.